About Counselling & Psychotherapy
Why Should I See a Psychotherapist or Counsellor?
- Psychotherapy or counselling is one of the hardest yet one of the most rewarding things you can do. Often we find ourselves repeating destructive patterns of behaviour, being angry with those closest to us and feeling no one understands. Psychotherapy can help us understand why this is happening, so that we can change things and make life more manageable.
Psychotherapy and counselling can help you develop more effective ways of dealing with life's difficulties. It doesn't always take the pain away, because life can be very painful, but it helps difficult times not feel overwhelming or destructive.
Therapy offers a safe and supportive place to explore the things that trouble you and affect your life and relationships, when more help is needed than family or friends can provide. It enables you to open up and be yourself so that together we can understand your problems, which often have their roots in your past, and allow you to resolve issues and conflicts and develop lasting changes.
How Do I Know If Psychotherapy or Counselling Is Right for Me?
- Therapy can help if you feel the need to be heard in a deep way, have difficulties that seem intractable or want to develop a greater self knowledge.
- Experiencing emotional difficulties, such as depression, anxiety, stress, panic attacks, psychosomatic illnesses or suicidal feelings.
- Struggling with a loss, such as a bereavement, divorce, redundancy or illness.
- Finding relationships difficult.
- Stuck in unhelpful patterns of behaviour.
- Experiencing difficulties with faith or spirituality.
Therapy can help if you are:
How Do I Know If You Are the Right Psychotherapist or Counsellor for Me?
- Our first session will help you decide. I want you to feel as comfortable and safe as possible for what can be a difficult process.
Sometimes it helps to talk to a couple of therapists before you decide. As long as the counsellor or psychotherapist you chose is fully qualified and registered with a professional body they could be of help to you.